Our fundraising endeavours continue in the UK and South Africa but we would like to thank all those who have donated or raised funds on behalf of The African Pulse.
Flora London Marathon 2008
Chris Bass completed the 26 mile course in an amazing individual fundraising effort. Perhaps this could be you next year? See our blog for the full report.
Soup lunch 2008
A Soup Lunch hosted in Twickenham in February 2008 raised £1,350. Thanks to all who attended and to Peter and Chris who held the day.
Corporate fundraising 2006
Thank you to Eric Laing (link opens in a new window) for nominating The African Pulse at a meeting of The Entrepreneurs Club in Birmingham. Sponsored by Spirit, an independent Accounting & Business Advisory firm, they raised £210.
Wedding gift 2006
Carolin and Jörg Roth recently held the first of their special Wedding celebrations with friends and family in Bensberg, Germany on the 26th May. In the place of gifts, Carolin and Jörg along with their 3 children, Fritzi, Cardi and Paula, very generously decided to raise money for a charity. The African Pulse was selected after Project Director, Katherine Lee spoke to Paula and her class at St James’ School in Twickenham (link opens in a new window). An incredible £1,135 (€1,760) was raised in Germany!
A second celebration in Twickenham, England was held on Saturday 8th July where more friends and family competed to exceed the amount raised in Germany! A total of £2,455 has been raised! Thank you Carolin, Jörg and family for your generosity!
Dublin Marathon 2006
James Fair, an MA Film Studies student is training to run the Dublin Marathon and will be joining the masses on a route around Dublin city on the 30th October, 2006. James has set up his own special fundraising event page on Just Giving.
St. James’ School fundraising
Children at St. James’ School (link opens in a new window) participated in numerous creative,fun and some strenuous school activities during Lent (March-April) this year to raise an incredible £2,500 for the African Pulse. Children paid to attend school wearing glamorous accessories, silly hats or to bring in their favourite toys for the day. Many of the children bravely took on a sponsored walk in the rain and mud! Thank you, staff, parents and children at St James’ for all your incredible work!
Two Oceans’ Marathon, 2006
The African Pulse’s Project Coordinator, Jo Ward, tested her stamina over the 24 kilometers of the Two Oceans Half Marathon (link opens in a new window) in Cape Town this April. Jo raised £390 for the charity and proved us all proud once again!
May Day 2005 and 2006
Chris Lee and volunteers have braved the eratic British Springtime weather on Twickenham Green to raise funds and awareness for The African Pulse. This year Chris was assited by a team of South Africans living in London, Teresa and Simone Coimbra and Tracey Austin.
A total of £700 has been raised at these events. The stalls typically offer a range of African art and curios for sale as well as other goodies.
Christmas gifts, 2005
Chris Lee and Holly White designed gift vouchers to be sold and given to loved ones for Christmas in place of the regular socks or smellies! We raised over £1,000 and more will be available from the UK office.
Local cricket fans paid to play or spectate in our cricket event on Twickenham Green in October 2005. £2,000 was raised! It was thirsty work….
Hadrian’s Wall, 2005
A huge thank you to all of you who supported Chris Lee, Peter Desmond and Alan and Sue Newbury on their Hadrian’s Wall walk in July 2004 – you raised £7,000!!
Sponsored schlepp, 2005
Jo Ward and Caroline Fearn ran and walked a sponsored marathon on both sides of the equator in November 2004. Over £1,000 was raised.
Schools and universities 2005 and 2006
- St Mark’s Catholic School (link opens in a new window) Sixth formers have now raised a total of £1,220 during Lent 2005 and 2006.
- Gumley House (link opens in a new window) Convent School year 9 pupils raised £200.
- The Mall School for Boys (link opens in a new window) raised £700 for The African Pulse
- Sussex University (link opens in a new window) raised £125 during World AIDS Day, December 2005
Individual and unusual donations
Many people give regularly through standing order or have found interesting and innovative ways of raising funds for The African Pulse.
- Maureen Tanner donated the proceeds of her 80th birthday, £550. Maureen and husband Len continue to support The African Pulse generously;
- An anonymous donor pledged a £3,000 legacy donation;
- Tomorrow’s Company (link opens in a new window) donated money to The African Pulse in the place of sending Christmas Cards, generating £200;
- Ian Davies ran the Paris marathon raising £200;
- Sharon Meaden and daughter ran the UK half marathon and raised £177;
- A forecourt sale by The African Pulse team in the UK raised £220;
- Car boot sales by Andy Ward, Laura Bennet and Nick Lee netted £375.